Wednesday, February 21, 2007

HEY HEY HEY - IT'S FAT (Tuesday)

A long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) I used to LOVE Fat Tuesday. This was before I got into the tax business. I LOVE holidays that involve nothing more than celebration and over consumption. I mean really, where's the downside? Lately I haven't had a chance to do the cooking I love to do for the holiday. But I'm wondering if I've missed out on a few things.

For instance, the day before Fat Tuesday (Chubby Monday?) I was at a local grocery store where there was a sign reminding us to get our "Fat Tuesday Brownies." Now, personally I don't recall brownies ever being a traditional "Fat Tuesday" food. Personally I'd like some red beans & rice and some BBQ shrimp (I think I need to make that soon - I promise if I posted the recipe your arteries would clog while reading the recipe - my kinda food) maybe a bit of bread pudding ... a hurricane (or two or three) .

And last week at church there was a sign up for a Fat Tuesday dinner party featuring .....

Lasagna??????????

A Fat Tuesday food??????

I thought about it for a minute or two. I mean on the one hand lasagna is not what I consider a Fat Tuesday food.

On the OTHER hand -- someone else is cooking!!!!! WHOOPIE

So I signed up my family and we went. I was pretty surprised at the number of cars in the parking area and on the streets until I remembered we ARE Methodists and there WAS food in a church basement so we were out en masse. (That's "en masse" not "in Mass," we're not Catholic after all).

Anyway - at each place there was a card where you could write something that you would "give up" for Lent or some good deed you could do.

Princess had the brilliant idea that we could give money to the poor. Not a bad idea but since she doesn't even earn an allowance I wanted some effort on her part, so she needs to start turning off the TV and lights so we can save money (to give to the poor). And if over the next 40 days the habit of actually turning off lights and TV and such happens to form that will save us quite a pretty penny.

I suggested that Chip could "give up" fighting with his sister. He figured that 40 days would be far too long for that. But he did say that he is going to start taking care of the dog. I reminded him that means he does it the first time we ask. (I did overhear another family suggesting that siblings give up fighting -- amazingly it's not a popular option.

I won't say what Spouse wrote down. But if he succeeds I will believe that divine intervention was involved, as I can't believe he can do it on his own.

I won't say what I wrote down either but I will say that I came up with a great secondary idea. I'm going to spend more time hugging good looking men. AH how I suffer. And amazingly I didn't find a single guy at church to argue with me.

No comments: