Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Fuzzybutt

Today I'm grateful for ...

We're going with Fuzzy for today because it is the one year anniversary of him coming to our house.

I'm grateful for him for many reasons ....

1) There are countless living things in my house. In addition to Fuzzy, there are dust mites, probably a few spiders, might be a squirrel over the garage, a guinea pig, a 19 year old cat, a Princess, a Chip, and Spouse. Of all of those, the only one that I can consistently count on to actually listen to me is Fuzzy.

2) Fuzzy (any dog) is pure devotion. Let's face it, most people do not love unconditionally. Most dogs do. When I come in the house I can count on at least someone coming to greet me at the door. Cats believe that they are the center of the universe. Dogs know that their owners are the center of the universe. And, as it's all about me, I do at times appreciate my dog's point of view.

3) Fuzzy is extremely protective of his pack. You cannot hurt one of his charges when he's around. [This has been tested -- long story but if sister_R's ex ever shows his face again, I'll be glad to let Fuzzy have another go round.] If the kids get too loud with each other, he'll get between them and say "peace in my house" in a, somehow, much more effective way than I ever could. I've left my oldest home alone for short periods of time. And sometimes people give you that look when you leave your kid home alone. I'm like "nobody is gonna mess when someone is next to an 85 pound dog."

4) Let's face facts, he does look like Lassie. He's actually one point off the trademark. Sable coat: check, white collar: check, blaze down nose: check, larger than average collie: check. The only thing he's missing is being of the direct line of Pal, the first dog that played Lassie. And, when you're walking down the street and see people of a certain age they can't help but be completely charmed by the look of the penultimate dog, that would also save Timmy from the well. After all, collies are supposed to be incredibly intelligent dogs. (Fuzzy hides it well).

2 comments:

Alto2 said...

Happy New Year to everyone in your house. Fuzzybutt is one handsome canine. Now, how did you add sound to your blog?

MLL said...

There's a sign in our gift shop that always makes me smile. It says something along the lines of, "Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"