Sunday, February 25, 2007

As long as I'm typing it anyway .....

Last night my Sunday School class had a progressive dinner. For some reason to date I've never actually been to a progressive dinner. And I really like the concept of going from place to place and eating. Just the way things work.

As is the case with progressive dinners, my dinner went one way, and I went another. Bye bye soup. (Actually I had dropped it at the host home earlier and sent the sides with someone that was going to go)

As we got together at house #3 for dessert (lots of chocolate was involved) I received my near empty crock pot and rave reviews for the soup. And I must admit I was expecting rave reviews from my soup, the recipe has been in my family for generations hours. I got a few requests for recipes and figured that I should type it out right away, before I forget it.

BLACK BEAN SOUP KAIROS STYLE
Serves a small African nation, or a few Methodists

olive oil
salt
pepper
cumin
21 season salute (TJs)
1 onion
½ jar Roasted Red Peppers (TJs)
1 Chipolte in Adobo (1 pepper – not one jar unless you’re brave)
2 cloves garlic
2 cans black beans
3 cans Cuban Style black beans (TJs)
1 large or 2 small cans chopped tomatoes
1 bag frozen fire roasted sweet corn (TJs)
Vegetarian broth (I used Imagine brand) (I used about 1-2 cups)

Saute onion, red peppers, and chipolte in olive oil. Toss in soup pot or crock pot. Add remaining ingredients and heat through, or let simmer. NOTE: when chopping chipolte pepper, don’t touch it with your hands and rub your eyes. I’m just sayin’. I’ll chop the thing without even touching it.

Serve as is or with sour cream, rice, and/or andouille sausage.

No comments: