Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The finer things in life.

Yesterday I mentioned lobster (just in passing) so today I'll go to the other end of the food spectrum.

Today I'm grateful for ...

Hot dogs -- not just hot dogs but CHICAGO style hot dogs. A hot dog with a salad on top. The following is from Wikipedia ...
A Chicago-style hot dog– as served in the U.S. city of Chicago, Illinois and its surrounding suburbs– is a steamed or boiled all-beef, natural-casing hot dog on a poppy seed bun. It is topped with mustard, onion, sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, sport peppers, and a dash of celery salt[1]; but not ketchup.


NEVER ketchup. Now, unlike the picture above, I like to place my sport peppers at each end of the bun, so I don't inadvertently chomp into both at once.

Mind you I don't mind an occasional Cincinnati style (chili and cheese), and New York is fine (sauerkraut and mustard - after a dirty water bath).

And I LOVE a Maxwell Street Polish (polish sausage, mustard, and grilled onions -- YUM) but not on days when you I to interact with lots of folk.

Sometimes, the best things in life are *not necessarily* what some would consider the "finer" things in life.

[DARN -- it's my friend's birthday today and I'm taking her to lunch -- since it's the beginning of the season and I've got new people working for me I'll be at a favorite place very close to my office -- but it's CHINESE. Guess at least I know what's for lunch tomorrow. ]

1 comment:

Alto2 said...

I guess I'm truly an East Coast girl. To me, a hot dog has mustard and sauerkraut. Nothing else. All that stuff on a Chicago dog is not for me. I might consider a chili dog once in a while, but no peppers or other nonsense.