Tuesday, January 16, 2007

more on dreamers and gratitude

Alto2 asked if my gratitude thread has come from watching Oprah or something.

Actually I haven't watched much TV of my own choosing in over a year. One day I figured that it would take me forever to catch up on my videotapes, so I gave it up. About the only TV I've seen lately is whatever someone else in the family happens to be watching, and I'm usually not paying much attention (the computer and TV are in the same room). (Basically I know about O'Reilly and Power Rangers).

I guess the idea of showing gratitude has always been one of those things I thought "yeah, I outta do that one of these days" and with a new year and relatively new blog, it seemed the time. I'm really impressed that I've done one for each day of the year to date, and we'll have to see if this becomes a habit. Some days I feel like I'm hit with a flash of inspiration (Dreamers), other days I'm just pushing to get something out. I think it's a good exercise for me, and if some people enjoy it GREAT and if a few people emulate me, not necessarily by gratitude blogs but just by calling a buddy and saying "thanks for the help," well then so much the better. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

I think having a public blog helps, because I know that the people that I mention will actually have a chance to read what I've said about them. For instance, M.B. who I mentioned in http://rambling-mom.blogspot.com/2007/01/today-mb-ndots.html was someone I always thought "I should send him a note of appreciation or something" but never got "a round tuit."

Today I was listening to the Joseph soundtrack. There is a part where the brothers get jealous of Joseph, they don't like what he has to say, and they sing "one thing we are sure about the dreamer has to go." I realized how many times in history that general feeling has been repeated.

Next time we're confronted with a great dreamer, instead of killing him (or her) why don't we just lock them up with some Elvis impersonators until we realize that "they're right all along."

No comments: