Sunday, November 19, 2006

all creatures great and small

A few weeks ago, our family made one of our semi-annual treks to one of the fundraisers for one of our favorite organizations The Critter Corral, a guinea pig rescue.

http://www.crittercorral.org/

YES -- I said a guinea pig rescue. And yes, my sister, and my friend Crem have both informed me that Guinea Pigs are bred for food in Peru. I think they're trying to gross me out, but considering that they are prolific breeders and need very little space, this makes sense.
Actually, considering what prolific breeders they are, it goes to reason that a guinea pig rescue is needed. The thing people don't realize about the little buggers, is that they can start breeding at 6 weeks of age. So if you have brothers and sisters, or mothers and sons in the same cage ......

Another reason many guinea pigs end up in the rescue is that (being the size they are) they are very difficult to sex. Quite a few babies have ended up at the rescue simply because a pet store sold "two boys" or "two girls" and a family was surprised a few weeks later.
Yes, animal rescue is a good an honorable way to contribute, and I think that it's important to teach my children to care for others (even if "others," in this case, are rodents). And I'm glad my children "know" that animals come from rescues and not pet stores.
But let's face it -- these things are *FUN* -- just look at those pictures. I think my friend from The Family Blender will really appreciate the picture at the bottom. (Hmmmm - maybe I should have saved this post -- or at least that picture -- until New Year's Eve).





No comments: