Friday, July 13, 2007

nearest book meme

This has been going around. Since I have a lot of "closest books" to my computer (there's a 6 shelf bookshelf nearby -- which is the closest book? The one on the first shelf or the second or the third?). I did have Dora the Explorer Madlibs Junior ON the computer table -- that that doesnt' have the required number of pages.

So I decided that the next time a book lands on my computer table, I'd use that book for the closest book meme. (If you look at my last post - you may understand how this book came to be on my table)

And here goes ...

The game:
1. Grab the nearest book to you.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.


From The Yale Book of Quotations edited by Fred R. Shapiro


David Byrne
Scottish-born U.S. Rock musician, 1952

1 And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house
With a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself
Well, how did I get here?

"Once in a Lifetime" (song) (1980). Cowritten with Brian Eno.

2 And you may ask yourself
What is that beautiful house?

(OKAY -- so that was a bit confusing as the punctuation is weird enough in a book of quotations so I just counted end of sentence punctuation marks and went from there).

No comments: