Friday, November 17, 2006

Dear George

Well, I haven't said much political :} -- and I'm strapped for ideas, I have a big, early day tomorrow, so I might as well go with something quick and on my mind.


Dear George,


Earlier this week you called for "patience" in Iraq.


That's easy for me to say. My oldest child is 10, I'm pretty sure we won't be there that long. None of my close family or friends is in the military. I'm in the middle of the country in my comfortable suburb driving my minivan. Like I said -- patience is easy for me to say.


Please don't ask *ME* for patience.


Ask for patience from the moms (and dads) of the men and women that are over there. The people that go to sleep every night hoping and praying and wondering if their children will be alive tomorrow.


Don't ask for patience from the people who have already lost children - they've already given enough. That's (at last count) 2,863 members of the military. Sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers.


I don't know - I'm lucky never to have lost a child -- but I really don't think it matters whether the child died from "friendly" or "unfriendly" fire -- dead is FOREVER!!!


And don't ask for patience from the people in Iraq. I'm not talking about the extremists, I'm talking about the everyday folks whose homeland is torn apart. It's easy for me. I'm in the middle of the U.S. I've never been in the middle of a war zone. My kids might get picked on while riding the bus home from school. They've never gotten caught in cross fire. Oh yeah -- that's what you guys call "collateral damage."


George, you seem to be very concerned about "life." Embryonic stem cells are highly valuable. But does the respect for life stop at birth?


"Collateral damage"

"Acceptable losses"

*PEOPLE*!!!!!


1 comment:

BunnyBubblette said...

I like this letter!