Friday, May 18, 2007

Irony

Once a month (or so) I run the computer (video) for the contemporary worship service at my church. It's really interesting, and I'm learning a bit about the computer program (Song Show Plus), about my own congregation, and sometimes a bit about the world.

This week Rev. Jerry Falwell died. I have absolutely no deep joy or remorse about this. People get old, they die, life goes on. There are some folks that are (rather) dancing on his grave because he did spew a lot of hate. Me, I'm sure that somebody will take his place. There's always another closed-minded bigot around.

Another thing that was (rather) fascinating this week ... The Phelps gang from Westboro Baptist Church (and I will NOT put a hyperlink to godhatesfags on this blog -- not now, not never, not noway) is going to be PROTESTING at the funeral of Jerry Falwell because

There is little doubt that Falwell split Hell wide open the instant he died. The evidence is compelling, overwhelming, and irrefragable. To wit:
1. Falwell was a true Calvinistic Baptist when he was a young preacher in Springfield, Missouri, and sold his soul to Free-Willism (Arminianism) for lucre.

2. Falwell bitterly and viciously attacked WBC because of WBC’s faithful Bible preaching—thereby committing the unpardonable sin—otherwise known as the sin against the Holy Ghost.

3. Falwell warmly praised Christ-rejecting Jews, pedophile-condoning Catholics, money-grubbing compromisers, practicing fags like Mel White, and backsliders like Billy Graham and Robert Schuler, etc. All for lucre—making him guilty of their sins.

Falwell is in Hell, Praise God!!


UMMMM -- yeah Falwell the ultra liberal???

NOW - how do these two things fit. My doing the computer for worship and Phelps.

Well, this week the theme is "Christian Unity" and the metaphor is "Coming Together."

In my prep work, I dug around on the World Council of Churches website. Grabbed some images from the WCC 9th Assembly. Bishop Tutu was there. Lots of other folks as well.

Falwell never was at a WCC Assembly (they have had a thing or two to say about some of his comments -- not very umm flattering).

I've a hunch that Phelps won't be heading up their next Assembly either.

A few weeks ago, many Koreans were feeling remorseful and apologetic about what happened at Virginia Tech (I know our Associate Pastor, who's Korean, was concerned). I didn't really understand WHY, I mean just because of what some dumb idiot does that shouldn't reflect on what anyone thinks about other people in that race, religion, sex, ....

NOW I get it -- if these idiots are what non Christians think of when they think of the term "Christian" -- I'd want to completely disassociate myself.

Well, at any rate, if the folks at Westboro Baptist Church ARE "right" and those that follow their ways are the only ones getting to heaven -- I'm not thinking it's where I'd want to spend eternity.

I'm just sayin...

We will work with each other, we will work side by side
We will work with each other, we will work side by side
And we'll guard each one's dignity and save each one's pride
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
They will know we are Christians by our love

No comments: