Wednesday, May 30, 2007

HELP (not)

We need to replace the flooring in the dining room. I decided before we do the floors we I might as well paint the walls. They haven't been done since we moved into the house, and I've been wanting to paint for a while. The way I figure it, might as well paint over the old -- about to be discarded -- carpet. Doesn't matter if I splash paint all over that now does it.

I'm sure many of you have seen TV shows or commercials or print ads with the lovely couple bonding over redecorating their lovely suburban home. Ah yes, the perfect married couple bonding over cooperative job efforts.

Well, as Bob Dylan would say "It Ain't Me Babe." Spouse and I figured out a long time ago that we don't work well together. I'm not saying that like it's necessarily a bad thing - it's just a fact of our relationship.

SO -- over the past two days I've been doing all the "painting stuff." Prepping the walls, washing, taping, painting, cleaning up, putting on the faux stuff.

I've had some help from both Princess and Spouse.

I'd probably be able to work twice as fast with less than half the help.

I'm just saying. OR -- as Helen Reddy said

Leave me alone won't you leave me alone
Please leave me alone, no leave me alone
Leave me alone, just leave me alone, oh leave me

4 comments:

Alto2 said...

Industrious, aren't we? Maybe Spouse can help by entertaining Chip and Princess. Will Crem help lay the flooring?

Mary said...

I think the (current) plan is for Spouse to do the flooring. If Spouse isn't going to do it then I'll see if I can do it myself. If I can't do it myself then I'll work with Crem. I think at most I'd have trouble getting started, once it gets started I think I won't have a problem completing the task.

Christina said...

Queen of Do It Yourselfers, right here! You can do it! I realized after finally buying my own place that I LOVE a good project. It's weird because this year I actually don't have one planned (and cannot really afford one if I did so that works out) and I am a little lost!

Mary said...

Christina,

I was looking at your old post from your flooring project yesterday for inspiration.

Finally the kids are both old enough to help or stay out of the way (though sometimes the help is still a bit -- ummm -- less efficient than doing it myself).