Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Convenient AND Environmentally friendly

Today, in the Chicago Tribune, there were two articles one pro and one con for the giving of gift cards.

If you feel the need you can look them up here ....

the pro ...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0612050297dec06,1,3461768.story

and the con

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0612050297dec062,1,3646867.story

Having already made my mind up before reading the articles, I didn't go through them word for word. But I did like the following from the pro gift card article ...

If every clueless but well-meaning gift-giver went for a gift card instead of, say, a giant plastic topiary or a hearth rug shaped like a poodle, we'd have less garbage to recycle, fewer lies to tell and more time to spend with those we love.


Convenient, charitable (we buy gift cards through my children's' school and the school gets a cut), and doubly environmentally friendly (saves on packaging, and saves on the trip to the store to buy the original gift AND the trip back to the store when the recipient returns the gift).

AND -- I don't know about you but I know I don't have much extra room around here, and gift cards fit in a specific area, whereas I'm not sure where exactly I'd put a giant plastic topiary.

2 comments:

LSM said...

I have to say, I love gift cards. It's fun to shop without worrying about paying the bill later, and I know I'm going to get something I want. :)

Alto2 said...

I would much rather have a gift card than, say, the cumulative Hanukkah gift my SIL in Va. sent today for the boys: a GeoSafari laptop. It came from Target.com. It's for 8 and older. It's too easy for #1 and won't interest #2 and #3. It cost her all of $49.99; she's so cheap. I spent nearly that on her daughter's bday gift. I guess I'm the plastic-topiary-wielding sucker.